Oregon College of Oriental Medicine (OCOM) is a nonprofit educational institution that trains master’s and doctoral students in acupuncture and Chinese medicine. OCOM’s academic programs are among the most comprehensive and highly regarded in the country, providing students with a solid foundation in acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, therapeutic massage, and qi cultivation, as well as a focus on collaboration between Chinese medicine and Western biomedicine. We are seeking a dynamic Dean of Research to join our team of renowned clinician-educators.
Reporting to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the primary duties of this position include, but are not limited to: administration and service, curriculum development, mentoring of faculty and students, classroom teaching, initiation of and participation in AOM research projects, development and submission of research grant applications, and engagement in scholarly activities.
This is a full-time position and is eligible for OCOM’s benefits package, which includes: life, short-, and long-term disability insurance; medical, dental, vision and complementary medicine health insurance; 401(k) retirement plan; and paid holidays and vacation. This position is located at OCOM’s Old Town Chinatown campus in Portland, Oregon.
AOM research and research education programs:
- Oversee clinic’s patient-centered outcomes research (PCOR) program
- Perform analyses and prepare data summaries of PCOR for in-house and external audiences
- Oversee maintenance and expansion of AcuTrials® and qiPARTNER
- Develop and coordinate research grant applications.
- Develop annual priorities in research, dissemination and scholarship.
- Establish new and maintain ongoing research collaborations with investigators locally and nationally.
- Work with information technology (IT) and clinic leaders to plan, develop and implement an electronic health record (EHR) for research purposes.
- Represent the OCOM Research Department at local and national research conferences: Symposium for Portland Area Research on Complementary medicine (SPARC), Society for Acupuncture Research (SAR), and other research conferences TBD.
- Oversee masters and doctoral research curricula
Faculty, staff and student support:
- Oversee hiring process for research faculty member(s).
- Oversee faculty evaluation process within department.
- Oversee mentors of mentored research projects conducted through Oriental Medicine Research Project course.
Education and Experience
- PhD or other Doctoral degree
- Prior experience serving as PI on grants
- Adequate publication history
- Quantitative and statistical skills and experience required
- Prior teaching experience, well-documented
- Clinical training and experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Expertise with statistical software such as Stata, SPSS, SAS or BMDP
- Facility with computer technology, including e-mail, word processing and presentation software
- Ability to successfully and respectfully manage a team in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to maintain a calm demeanor while meeting the demands of students, faculty and patients
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong ability to multi-task
- Strong professional demeanor as a college administrator
- Strong work ethic
- Impeccable record of integrity
- E-mail your cover letter and CV to hr<at>ocom.edu with the position title as the subject line.
- In your cover letter, address the question: "How would a role as OCOM’s Dean of Research complement your long-term career goals?"
- Mention how you learned about this opening.
At this time, there is no application deadline and applications will be considered in the order they are submitted until this position is filled. Should you wish to apply, we encourage you to do so at your earliest convenience.